Friday, October 01, 2004

Poems of Elizabeth

+ SONNET XIV +
If thou must love me, let it be for nought
Except for love's sake only. Do not say
I love her for her smile--her look--her way
Of speaking gently,--for a trick of thought
That falls in well with mine, and certes brought
A sense of ease on such a day--
For these things in themselves, Belovèd, may
Be changed, or change for thee,--and love, so wrought,
May be unwrought so. Neither love me for
Thine own dear pity's wiping my cheek dry,--
A creature might forget to weep, who bore
Thy comfort long, and lose thy love thereby!
But love me for love's sake, that evermore
Thou may'st love on, through love's eternity.

+ SONNET XXI +
Say over again, and yet once over again,
That thou dost love me. Though the word repeated
Should seem "a cuckoo-song," as thou dost treat it,
Remember, never to the hill or plain,

Valley and wood, without her cuckoo-strain
Comes the fresh Spring in all her green completed,
Belovèd, I, amid the darkness greeted
By a doubtful spirit-voice, in that doubt's pain
Cry, Speak once more--thou lovest! Who can fear
Too many stars, though each in heaven shall roll,
Too many flowers, though each shall crown the year?
Say thou dost love me, love me, love me--toll
The silver iterance!--only minding, Dear,
To love me also in silence with thy soul.

I remember the girl in Shakespear in Love, after making love for the first time, saying "I never thought there's something more beautiful than poetry" ... I love poetry myself ... I think there's magic in it! There's power that draws me near to appreciate it.. and too bad that I can only be an appreciator of it. It is a powerful language of love. It makes a confesion of love more pure and true.

When I was younger, I used to receive poems from suitors... I like those poems though I know they were written just to flatter me, though there could be truth in them. Well, those were the days... I guess I won't be receiving poems again... I wish the poetry would come back... that it'll be back for me...

It's a sad story that a guy would devote his poetry to a girl who will break his heart... and how the poetry would be broken with it... That there will be no more poetry for the girl who is willling to love him and appreciate his poetry...

** The poem above is from Elizabeth Barret Browning, the sonnets were part of her greatest work, Sonnets from the Portuguese.

this doily was made @ 8:36 AM 
Comments: Post a Comment