Monday, August 09, 2004

Unlearn

unlearn \Un*learn"\, v. t. [1st pref. un- + learn.]
  • To forget, as what has been learned;
  • To lose from memory; also, to learn the contrary of;
  • To undo the effect of; put aside the practice of;

Yesterday this word came to my mind. To unlearn things. I started to think and believe that for the past years of existence I've learned a lot of things... some for the better, some for worse and still some that goes in between.

There'll be different kinds of learning and for this blog I'll mention the learning for the mind (being the technicals & theories & understanding of the world around us) and the learning for the heart (being the feelings, desires and dreams).

In my past five and a half years in college, 4 years in high school, 6 years in primary, and 1 year in kindergarten I've learned a lot about the things around me; the environment and society, the human body, human behavior and so much more. Under this kind of learning will I classify the knowledge to interact with people and to read the non-verbal signals that people around us send. From the vast amount of learning from this long existence we unlearn some ; like "I don't remember how to do stuffs I used to do", forgetting a person's name or the incidents associated with that person. In a general view, there's no need to unlearn anything from here. But then again on the other thought, from here we must unlearn the bad memories. The failures, encounters with awful people, skills in bringing people down, skill in cheating in things we do.

On the other hand, I guess there are more things that the heart must unlearn. DISTRUST is one. For the many times that we were cheated, the heart has discovered a way to protect itself form possibe harm ~ distrust. For the many times that we were considered less in worth the heart learned JEALOUSY. For the things that we've always wished to have that other people have, we learned ENVY. For the many times we were dismayed and disappointed we learned FEAR. From the hidden desires the heart LUSTS (oh well). I know there are a lot things you could think of that the heart must unlearn... to heal.

I remember a book telling that the journey of life is harder when we bring extra baggages. I believe that unloading the extra baggages includes unlearning. Well it wouldn't be easy and I can't find the right formula in doing this but the important thing is to start.

========================
Ako I started to observe myself. May mga nakikkita ako na stuffs na masmasaya ako nung hindi ko pa alam sila alam. May mga bagay na gusto kong i-unlearn, yung iba i-unlearn totally, yung iba i-unlearn na lang tapos i-learn ulit kapag nakalimutan ko na.. hehe ^-^. Some might find it weird, pero I'm thinking to give myself a new start. Syempre di naman totally ma-e-erase ang lahat ng bagay pero para lang ma-re-fresh ang heart. Not that I'm broken hearted in any way, feeling ko lang medyo tumatanda ako kaya trying to eliminate hazards hehe ^-^ yun lang...


this doily was made @ 2:44 PM 
Comments: Post a Comment